Treatment Benefit is a scheme run by the Department of Social Protection in Ireland
The Treatment Benefit Scheme provides a financial contribution towards dental, aural and optical services. It is available to employees, the self-employed and retired people who have the required number of social insurance contributions (PRSI).
To check if you have the required PRSI contributions please use the following link: eligibility-checker
Under this scheme you may qualify for financial contributions towards:
- Dental Care
- Optical Care
- Hearing Aids
- Hair Piece and Wig
The following benefits towards dental care are covered under this scheme:
- The full cost of an oral examination is covered once a year.
- A payment of 42 euro towards either a scale and polish or periodontal treatment once a year.
The treatments are provided by private dentists.
To check which dentists are available under this scheme see the following:
List of Dentists
The following benefits towards optical are covered under this scheme:
- One free eye test once every two years.
- A set payment every two years towards glasses or contact lenses.
The test is carried out by opticians, optometrists and ophthalmologists who have a contract with the Department of Social Protection. Contact your local optician to see if the Treatment Benefit scheme is available.
The following benefits towards hearing aids are covered under this scheme:
- The full cost of a hearing aid up to the price of 500 euro (1,000 euro for a pair) is covered once every four years.
- The cost of repairs to hearing aids up to a maximum of 100 euro.
The hearing aids are provided by suppliers that have a contract with the Department of Social Protection.
HAIR PIECE AND WIG:
Under the Treatment Benefit scheme, you can get up to 500 euro for one hair replacement item such as a hair piece or wig once a year. The hair loss must be caused by a disease or treatment for a disease. You must buy the hair piece or wig from a supplier approved by the Department of Social Protection.
To check suppliers please see the following:
Hair Replacement Suppliers List